I’ve seen this Mid Year Book Freak Out Tag around several blogs in my brief time blog-hopping the last week or so, and since I am SO behind on book reviews I thought this would be a good way to get sort of semi-caught up. Since I’m not even going to attempt to do a rundown on how all my various challenges are doing…*gives sidebar the stink-eye*…here we go! I’m really kind of shocked by some of these…I didn’t even realize I read them THIS year, January and February feel like they were SO long ago.
- Best book I’ve read so far: This is SO hard! It was down to 3…but I’m still going to have to go with one I finished on January 3! The Bear and the Nightingale, by Katherine Arden (all covers link to GoodReads!). I loved this so much I bought both the US and UK editions.
- Best sequel I’ve read so far: Hmm. Apparently I have a problem reading sequels, because I’ve only read a handful this year! I guess I’ll go with The Fallen Kingdom, by Elizabeth May, because it just wrapped up that series SO WELL!
- New release you haven’t read yet but want to: The Upside of Unrequited, by Becky Albertalli! I scanned through my list (what? doesn’t everyone have a new release list?) and this immediately jumped out.
- Most anticipated release for the second half of the year: OMG – HUNTING PRINCE DRACULA!!!!! There are not enough exclamation points in the WORLD. And THAT COVER.
- Biggest disappointment: To be honest, the A Series of Unfortunate Series of Events series. I read the first 4 and was just kind of like…meh. Not motivated at all to read any more.
- Biggest surprise: Forget Me Not, by Ellie Terry. I was totally NOT expecting to love this book as much as I do. Especially once I found out in was in verse. But it’s awesome. Go. Read.
- Favorite new (to me) author: This is hard too, because most of the authors I would put here are all debut authors! And it’s so hard to pick just one. Ugh. Ummm…ok. I’m was going to go with Katherine Arden but since I already used her book for one question…I’m going with Sandy Menon. If you haven’t read When Dimple Met Rishi yet, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?
- Newest fictional crush: I don’t really have a new one, to be honest! Kind of weird, I know.
- Newest favorite character: I’m reeeeeeeally trying not to use a book more than once, but I just have to go with Dimple. I adore her and need to meet her ASAP.
- Book that made me cry: Hyperbole and a Half, by Allie Brosh. Yes, a graphic novel made me cry. Her description of depression hit so close to home I just burst into tears. It felt like someone finally “got it” and I wasn’t just weird or the only one.
- Book that made me happy: Girl Out of Water, by Laura Silverman! This was such a warm-fuzzy book for me. I thought Anise and Lincoln were just SO cute and I loved that Anise worked through her issues in such a mature way – while still remaining very much 17.
- Most beautiful book I’ve bought this year: I haven’t actually bought any like super-special editions this year! Mainly because moving. 😛 BUT, I am really in love with the UK edition of The Bear and the Nightingale. I just love all the details!
- What book(s) do I need to read by the end of the year: *coughcough* I haven’t read ACOWAR yet because I am terrified. Terrified, I tell you.
What do you all think? Have you read any of these? Loved or hated them? Am I justified in my fear of ACOWAR?