Along with my Beat the Backlist challenge, the 2018 New Release challenge created by (un)Conventional Book Views will (I hope) make up the rest of my “number goal” in books this year! Since my goal is 52 overall, and I’m trying for 40 backlist books…that would mean 12 new releases! Of which…I already have 4 pre-ordered. Ahem. This year I am not attempting the debut author challenge. As much as I love supporting new authors, that one was a real struggle and real guilt inducer for me last year. I felt guilty for not being supportive and even more guilty if I didn’t like their book (because OMG IT’S THEIR FIRST ONE AND I WANT THEM TO BE SUCCESSFUL AND AND AND). Maybe another year when I have more time on my hands, but I want to enjoy new releases by authors I already love with the OPTION to pick some debuts.
My goal of 12 definitely puts me in the “New Release Newbie” category for this one! That made me laugh, because I feel like I am absolutely obsessed with new releases…I add them to list after list and feel like I read a lot of new releases last year…maybe not. I’m excited to see how many I actually get to this year!
Potential list that I’m leaving lots of blank spots on because there are many SEQUELS coming out this year, that I want to read…the first book of which, from LAST year, I still haven’t read but I have hope.
- Reign of the Fallen, by Sarah Glenn Marsh – out January 23rd – read her debut last year, much <3 so this one is preordered!
- Purple Hearts, by Michael Grant – out January 30th – last of this trilogy, which I have absolutely loved, an alternate history of WWII in which women are allowed to be combat soldiers.
- Dread Nation, by Justina Ireland – out April 30th – Civil War history, zombies, and diversity, YES PLEASE.
- Competence, by Gail Carriger – out on July 17th – I pretty much love everything Gail writes and this is the 3rd in the Custard Protocol series.
- My Plain Jane, by Cynthia Hand, Jodi Meadows, and Brodi Ashton – out on June 26th – OMG GIVE ME MORE the first one was so good!!
- Aru Shah and the End of Time, by Roshani Chokshi – out March 27th – loved The Star-Touched Queen but fell off the bandwagon and haven’t read the sequel, so this is a good one to go back to!
- Children of Blood and Bone, by Tomi Adeyemi – out March 6th – this just sounds fascinating. Also, DEBUT!
- Gunslinger Girl, by Lyndsay Ely, out January 2nd (oh look!) – intriguing. Old west + futuristic? Hmm. Also, another DEBUT!
- From Twinkle, With Love, by Sandhya Menon – out June 19th i.e. NOT FREAKING SOON ENOUGH – I loved Sandhya’s first book and am desperate for this one!
- A Girl Like That, by Tanaz Bhathena – out February 27th – oooohhh mystery YA with diverse rep and another debut!
- Love, Hate, & Other Filters, by Samira Ahmed – out January 16th – this sounds like it’s going to make me reevaluate my perceptions so naturally it MUST be read.
- A Thousand Perfect Notes, by C.G. Drews – out June 7th – this is by one of my absolute favorite bloggers, Cait @ PaperFury, so of COURSE.
As always, list subject to change, especially since none of these books come out any later than July! I actually have QUITE a few more titles on my GR 2018 Releases shelf if you want to check that out. I’m sure the list will continue to grow, too.