Genres: Modern, Mystery, Romance, Thriller
Buy on Amazon
Former Marine turned ballistics expert, Wesley Cross is known around town for two things, his rugged good-looks and cocky attitude—until he finds his ex-girlfriend lying in a puddle of blood in his basement. The scene screams setup, but the discovery of a rare gem and a puzzling autopsy suggests the murder goes much deeper than that. Wesley will do whatever it takes to clear his name, including calling in a notoriously headstrong—and sexy—scientist.
While most little girls were playing dress up, Gwyneth Reece was digging in the dirt collecting bugs. Now one of the top forensic entomologists in the country, Gwen reluctantly accepts a job from a pushy cowboy and travels to the small, Southern town of Berry Springs. Heavy storms are brewing, and when she’s forced to check into the creepiest hotel she’s ever seen, she instantly regrets her decision to help out the former Marine.
I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
The Fog is the 4th in the Berry Springs series by Amanda McKinney, and can be read as a standalone. I flew through this little novella (at 225 pages it makes for a quick afternoon or before bed read) and am considering picking up the other three at some point!
Things I Loved
- Gwyneth is described as having sexy BROWN eyes. Hell yes, let’s have some love for a shade that isn’t blue!
- Gwyneth is also scientist and a damn good one. Love that she has a career and goals and is doing whatever it takes to reach them. Wouldn’t mind reading more about her background, and Wes’s for that matter!
- Believable vendetta against Wes. I was kind of worried about this being something silly, but it wasn’t.
- Atmospheric – yes please. I happened to read this on a rainy day, which was just PERFECT for the last part of the book…made it seem very real. Remind me to never check into a hotel during a storm. Yikes.
- Predictable – well, it’s romantic suspense. If you didn’t end up with what you were expecting you’d be disappointed, yes? Still, there were a couple parts that – as far as the forensics – made me roll my eyes because I thought the “big discovery” was SO obvious.
- I thought the insta-attraction was a little much, as well as just HOW FAST they progressed…but again…how else are you going to bring everything to a conclusion in such a short book?
- Wes was a little over the top dominant in some ways. It was annoying. At least our girl Gwyneth was there to straighten his ass out. 😉
3.5/5 stars. This is an enjoyable, fast read if you want a little romantic action and a little suspense!
2.5/5 flames. There’s attraction and action, and Wes is great and all, (and I did LOVE that while he is very attracted to Gwyneth, she’s not described as having a supermodel body), but it just didn’t quite do it for me. They’re a cute couple but I guess I wanted MORE of them, more depth!
Award-winning author of romantic suspense and mystery, Amanda McKinney wrote her debut novel, LETHAL LEGACY, after walking away from her career to become a writer and stay-at-home mom. Set in small, Southern towns, Amanda’s books are page-turning murder mysteries peppered with steamy love scenes, and include the BERRY SPRINGS SERIES and the BLACK ROSE MYSTERY SERIES, with many more to come.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Reading this book contributed to these challenges: