Many thanks to Jamie over at the Perpetual Page-turner for creating this lovely survey (now in it’s 9th year!) and allowing us to use it and the graphics she’s made. I always love reading people’s end of the year surveys, so feel free to leave a link to yours in the comments! I didn’t fill out the survey last year but you can see my 2016 End of the Year here!
**2018 READING STATS**
Number Of Books You Read: 55 (as of 28 Dec)
Number of Re-Reads: 3
Genre You Read The Most From: YA
1. Best Book You Read In 2018?
This is always the million dollar question, isn’t it? I’m going to cheat and do two, one YA and one adult.
Starfish was amazing and I felt such a kinship with Kiko and I cried so hard over her story. Winter of the Witch doesn’t come out until next month but it was my hands down best adult read. Also lots of tears for this one.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Sigh. I had SUCH high expectations and hopes for Escaping from Houdini. While it wasn’t HORRIBLE it definitely wasn’t what I wanted for Audrey and Thomas. Fingers crossed the fourth and last book will be better!
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Totally did not see this one coming! I signed up for the blog tour of Three Mages and a Margarita and whatddya know, I have a new favorite author and TWO new favorite series!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Haha, see above.
5. Best series you started in 2018? Best Sequel of 2018? Best Series Ender of 2018?
Oh geez. I didn’t read very many books in a series this year, beginning, sequel, or otherwise, so I don’t have a whole lot to choose from! In order though:
Bind the Soul, same author different series. I’m obsessed, I tell you. Also nothing is going to top Winter of the Witch for a series end. My heart.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2018?
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I don’t usually read romance or women’s lit much, so The Christmas Sisters was a pleasant surprise for me!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
9. Book You Read In 2018 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I want to re-read the entire Winternight trilogy. Are these not the most GORGEOUS covers? You can read my reviews for the first and second books at the links.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2018?
I just love the vibe the cover of Sky in the Deep gives off.
11. Most memorable character of 2018?
Beck, from A Thousand Perfect Notes, is stuck in my heart. If you haven’t read this PLEEEEEASE do!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2018?
Yep, this one again. Sorry, I know I’m totally cheating.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2018?
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2018 to finally read?
I’ve had The Love that Split the World since the month it came out and finally read it! It turned out to be a really sweet story.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2018?
Believe it or not, it’s from this little gem! Cue sappiness:
“I’ve looked all my life for family…now I know it is you…this is what you and I will do now. We will hold these broken parts of ourselves dear because they brought us to this point, and we will love each other wholly and completely.”
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2018?
Shortest: When Spring Comes to the DMZ. Longest: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
How I did this: I used my GoodReads Year in Books!
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
There’s something at the end of this that just completely broadsided me! And then it just made so much sense. But still. Holy crap on a cracker.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Piper and Ash from the Steel and Stone series. I’ve finished the second book and they’re not officially together yet but DON’T RUIN IT FOR ME, FOLKS!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
These sisters totally warmed my heart.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2018 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
I’m going with The Curses because of the sheer scale of the improvement in Laure Eve’s writing in this, compared to the first in this series.
21. Best Book You Read In 2018 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.:
I picked up The Midnight Witness based solely on a recommendation post from Crime by the Book. I loved it!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2018?
Ash. I always go for the anti-hero types. Hehe.
23. Best 2018 debut you read?
I only read three debuts this year, and two of them were 5-stars!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Sorry not sorry.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Gail Carriger hasn’t disappointed me yet, and How to Marry a Werewolf was just adorable.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2018?
I can only think of three books that made me cry this year, and since I’ve already talked about the other two…A Dog Called Hope is a fantastic memoir.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
I don’t think I read any truly “hidden” gems, as most of the books I read were relatively high profile!
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2018?
I absolutely loved this retelling mashup of some of the great literature classics!
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Definitely Wolf Tamer. And in this case it DOES mean I didn’t like it. It’s my only 1-star book for the year!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2018 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2019?
Somehow I STILL haven’t read Six of Crows!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2019 (non-debut)?
3. 2019 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2019?
Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the Ripper #4) by Kerri Maniscalco!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2019?
Read at least 20 backlist titles. I failed miserably at backlist this year. I just get so excited for new releases!
6. A 2019 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):
Bet you can’t guess! Haha.
Thanks for reading! I can’t wait to see everyone else’s lists for 2018. Drop me a link to yours in the comments!