Published by Anya J Cosgrove on January 17, 2019
A newborn witch is hunted for her blood. Two smoking-hot brothers teach her how to survive. Can she unravel their dark secrets?
Demons. Magic. Fear.
I never believed in witches until I became one. I thought monsters existed only on television screens. I was wrong. And naïve. Thom Walker saved me, but I don’t trust him. His brother Liam is one of them. A demon. He almost devoured me.
Desire. Secrets. Forbidden love.
Witchcraft isn’t easy, and my sparring sessions with my two saviors/jailers are distracting as hell. My feelings must be laid on ice before I end up dead. And I need to find out if I can actually lose my soul, or if it’s a weird metaphor.
Liam says I should embrace the darkness. And the darkness is coming…
I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
I am so excited to be able to give a high recommendation to Anya Cosgrove’s debut novel! This book was such a fun, entertaining read.
They say ignorance is bliss. I say ignorance gets you killed. I still miss it, though.
- Um, the brothers! Duh. They’re very different but they’re both hot. Haha! Thom is the friendly, popular guy that everyone likes, and Liam is the brooding anti-hero. As you know by now, if you’ve read my blog for any length of time…I am ALL ABOUT the anti-heroes. Yes please.
- Alana is a fun character, and I’m super eager to see how she grows and matures in future books. She comes around to this whole supernatural thing very quickly, and it would have been a sore point for me except that she even says in her narration that it’s very odd, how easily she accepted this new world that she is suddenly thrust into. So I’m interested to see if that plays out in any way down the road as well.
- The slow burn! I absolutely hate insta-love, and while of course it’s pretty normal for any hot-blooded human to feel some physical pull to an attractive other person, I don’t think it’s normal for a true obsession to switch on immediately. THAT DIDN’T HAPPEN HERE, and I am so grateful. It made me enjoy the story so much more!
- The evil guy is really despicable. Not just sort of nasty. Like made my skin crawl in horror. Which is IMPORTANT! If the stakes aren’t high enough, the story won’t work…and it worked, let me tell you.
- Love triangle. Obviously that was a main point of this story, it even says it in the GR description – but I really didn’t think *I* personally would be so torn between the brothers. ARGH!
- Need more details on how all this witch/warlock/demon/magic stuff actually works, and it’s origins. It’s explained a little, but…really needs some more fleshing out. Hopefully in the next books!
- Erm…the cover. I absolutely HATE covers with barechested men or scantily clad women. Like I couldn’t read a physical copy of this in public. Can we please just not? There’s so many other cool scenes from this book that they could have chosen…but that’s a very small beef. Just ignore the cover!
Anya J Cosgrove lives in Québec with her husband, her beautiful son, and two mischievous cats. She works as a veterinarian by day. She’s a travel and Disney junkie and is passionate about her favorite paranormal series.
What would Buffy do? Kick ass!
Read it first! http://bit.ly/anyaslair
Reading this book contributed to these challenges: